Hope Portal to the World Luncheon
Wednesday, September 25 at 1:00pm
Maas Center, Auditorium
264 Columbia Avenue, Holland, MI 49423-3616
The Hope Portal to the World grant provided opportunities for faculty teams to study and travel internationally around a particular interdisciplinary course theme. This spring and summer 44 faculty participated in seven different travel seminars:
- China, "Building Bridges between Hope and Chinese Universities for Collaborative Teaching and Research"
- Greece, "The Human Story of the Global Gateway: Refugee Families"
- Hong Kong, "Service Learning - Lingnan University"
- Kenya, "Engaging History, Politics, Health, Religion and Ecumenical Higher Education in the Kenyan Context"
- Greece/Italy "The Body through Sport, Art, and Theatre in Ancient Greece and Rome"
- Japan/South Korea, "Demystifying the Complexities: Exploration into South Korean History, Culture, and Sociopolitics"
- Ecuador, "USFQ-Hope Global Health Collaborative"
On Wednesday and Thursday, September 25 and 26,
we will host two
'World Cafe' lunch events during which faculty teams will give presentations addressing the impact of their travel seminars on their future scholarship and teaching. This is a great way to learn from practices of other colleges and universities, as well as about global opportunities for your own teaching and scholarship. Groups will give brief Pecha Kucha
presentations with time for questions at the end of the luncheon.
Both luncheons will be in Maas Auditorium; however, please note that the times and presentations are different
- Wednesday, 9/25, 1:00 - 2:00pm, presentations by faculty teams who traveled to China, Greece, Hong Kong
- Thursday, 9/26, 11:30am - 1:00pm, presentations by faculty teams that traveled to Kenya, Greece/Italy, Japan/South Korea, and Ecuador
Join your colleagues for one (or both) of the luncheons! RSVP today
(If you RSVP affirmatively, but your plans change, please contact me so we can save that money to send another colleague abroad!)